Guignard & Fabbri: This season is the best' | Golden Skate

Guignard & Fabbri: This season is the best'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice dancers Charlène Guignard and Marco Fabbri, who compete for Italy, have been steadily climbing the world rankings since they teamed up in 2010.

More

Fabbri, who just turned 28 earlier this month, is a bit superstitious when voicing his hopes for the upcoming 2016 World Figure Skating Championships, however, his partner says reaching the top 10 is definitely one of their goals.

“It would mean that we improved the result of last season,” said 26-year-old Guignard. “However, the most important goal for us is to continue performing solid and intense programs and to also show in Boston the love we feel for this wonderful sport!”

“If we reached the top 10 at Worlds, we would be really satisfied and it would be a really good result for us,” Fabbri chimed in. “In any case, the most important thing in a competition is to finish it feeling that you couldn’t give anything more than what you gave!”

I have really enjoyed watching this team evolve over the past few years and hope they make the top 10 at Worlds this year. I really like their Free Dance (am always partial to Schindler's List ;) and am looking forward to seeing more from this team in the future! What are your thoughts?

dreamsk8

On the Ice
Really great article about them! I hope they are team that continues to grow and evolve and I hope they hang around for a good long while.
:cheer::hap10:

Sackie

Medalist
This is one team Gillis and Poirier have to look out for. They have been outscoring them this year - but that has been in different competitions - so hard to tell.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was really interesting to read the back story on their Schindler's List program, and the particular connection their choreographer feels to the program.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I have really enjoyed watching this team evolve over the past few years and hope they make the top 10 at Worlds this year. I really like their Free Dance (am always partial to Schindler's List ;) and am looking forward to seeing more from this team in the future! What are your thoughts?

:yes::yes::yes: I quite much love their last season's Riverdance free, too. What I love about this team is overall spede, energy full of youth and athleticism. Watching them skate always makes me smile. :) When I first heard they will do Schindler's List, 'should be too difficult for them to interpret it yet', I thought. But they proved me wrong, so wrong at the Euro. Barbara has been doing great job for them. I hope they will stay healthy and have a long competitive career.

It's exciting to witness top skaters to raise the bar on technical contents, of course. It's admirable to see young up-n-comers to burst onto the scene and do very well. I always feel more than just respectful when veterans redeem themselves and prove they are still there after some stagnant periods of time. However, the greater joy for skating fans of many years/long time like me is to witness skaters mature both as a skater and person, improve their skating over the years and show more personality on ice, probably.

Last edited:

noidont

Final Flight
But their Schindler's List, down to costume, is so Ilinykh/Katsalapov 2009-10 it's not funny. This is a weird team for sure. I watched them live a few years ago and thought they were not very good for a reasonably-ranked team. I don't think they are bad anymore. This program, however...

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can see the similarities in the costumes to I/K, but then again, there are a lot of similarities across the board (both in costumes and style) when skating to certain themes. Look at Carmen, Malagueña, etc...:biggrin:

Not sure I would describe this team as "weird" though?

Weathergal

Medalist
I can see the similarities in the costumes to I/K, but then again, there are a lot of similarities across the board (both in costumes and style) when skating to certain themes. Look at Carmen, Malagueña, etc...:biggrin:

Not sure I would describe this team as "weird" though?

I agree. I think they've made noticeable improvements this season, and I really like their programs. Thanks for a very informative article--I enjoyed reading it!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
They used to be the epitome of what I think of as 'xerox skaters.' This is the first year that they didn't simply ape what had worked for other skaters in the past. And it's also their most successful year. Coincidence? I think not!

Alex D

Record Breaker
They skate at a very high level this season, difficult transitions, good presence on the ice and well balanced. It is great to see that their programs also find recognition in the US, thank you for the article Paula!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I appreciate that Guignard and Fabbri are trying to be sensitive in their portrayal, but to me they fail in this. The uber-dramatic facial expressions and the too-literal costumes really rub me the wrong way; the former feel like they've confused Schindler's List with an opera tragedy, while the latter strike me as trivializing. Every Jewish skating fan I've talked to about this program dislikes it, and many would prefer to see no Schindler's List programs at all. The holocaust should not be used as source material to bolster one's artistic credibility.

OTOH, Charlene doesn't get get shot in the end, so at least it's not the most offensive Schindler's List I've seen.

I like the SD for them.